I hope to use this to stay in touch with friends on all corners of the globe. Be sure to let me know you've visited. Remember life is not an emergency, breathe deep relax and enjoy.

Monday, June 18, 2007

New Balance Half Ironman - Elk Lake, BC - June 17th

bib#558 Norman Barmeier, Winnipeg, MB
63/308 M 12/38 Men 30-34

Total time: 4:41:15

swim - 34:50 1:45 min/100m

transition 1 - 2:17 min

bike - 2:26:12 32.8 km/hr

elapsed time after swim and bike - 3:03:19

transition 2 - 1:14 min

run - 1:36:43 4:51 min/km

My overall feeling about this race is that it was amazing. The course is hosted on one of the most beautiful venues, and the run around Elk Lake is absolutely beautiful.

I had a fairly crappy first 300m in my swim. In fact I had a 300m pep talk with myself where I had to stop, tread water and say out loud: "Norman, you are a grown man.....pull yourself together!!!" One of the lifeguards even came over to ask if I was ok. I had to tell him to leave me alone as I was having a "moment" I think he got the picture. The remaining 1700m were actually very good. I hit my stride and was passing fellow swimmers the rest of the way in. I'm guessing I lost at least 2 mintues during the first 300m....gasping for air, breast stroking, and just generally avoiding racing. Man. I know this is simply a matter of working on my anxiety in the cold water. Out of the water I was ranked 106 out of 308.

My first transition was also a bit of a lolly gag. My wetsuit was not cooperating and someone racked next to me had knocked all my stuff over, so I had to scramble around the ground to collect my bike levers, pump....sunglasses etc. I also learned how very difficult it is to get cycling gloves on when your hands are wet. I have lots of transition work to do!!!

Out of transition, despite my turtle pace I was now ranked 88 out of 308.

On the bike I was giddy as a school girl, and the hills couldn't come soon enough. I had managed to get into a really good groove. The day prior to the race I scoped out the entire 37km loop to get a sense of where the hills were and where the long streches were going to be. I was well prepared to punch up all the hills because there were lots of sections to spin out the legs. The bike was by far my favorite part of the race and in my 2 plus hours on the bike I must have passed close to 60 riders. I felt great. There were moments during the ride when I was asking myself wether I should be working harder. I still have to learn how to pace myself I guess.

The phrase that keeps going through my mind is from Jared: "Race within yourself"

That was my matra for the whole race, especially the later part of the run.

After the ride I had moved up to 56 out of 308. (I wish my swim hadn't sucked so much ass)

Transition 2 was much quicker but I still lost 2 positions, ending up 58 out of 308.

Now for the run. I had been dreading the run all week. I was certain that I'd develop a cramp or my feet would be numb or some other thing like that.....but instead I shot out of transition like I was on fire. My legs were turning over like I hadn't been doing anything for the past 3 hours. (I'm not sure if that's a good thing) I felt really strong for the entire run and managed to pull it off in 96 minutes.

My run did cost me a few spots to finish up 63rd, but it was the most surprising result for me. I'm very please with my run.

I think this triathlon thing is good for me, so I'm gonna stick with it.

Next race is the Desert Half in Osoyoos BC, July 8th.

I hope to have a few pics to post here soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Congrats Norm on a great race! You've come a long way since your first panicky backstroke in the sprint at Bird's Hill!

9:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home